Zagrebački holding English Hrvatski Web map Contacts

Museum of Water Supply


The Museum of Water Supply was opened on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the waterworks. It is located in a one-storey building at the Mala Mlaka water collection site. The exhibits are displayed both within the museum and outside. Larger exhibits, testifying to the history of water supply of the city, are displayed outside (an old ground hydrant, manual dredge, etc.), while the exhibits inside the museum are divided into several sections:
  • documents testifying to the history of development of the city and its water supply (such as the charter on the establishment of Zagreb’s water supply, issued and signed by Austro-Hungarian Emperor Francis II and Croatian Ban Mažuranić,

  • presentation of the water supply system (collection and use of water, measurement techniques, system maintenance).

The entire idea behind the museum was based on the number of exhibits, and the collection was envisioned in a way that, in addition to the permanent collection, new objects and exhibits can be added.

Zagreb’s waterworks were opened with music, dance, and water spray from Manduševac on 7 July 1878. Distribution was carried out via public wells and pipes, 17.5 km in length, supplying drinking water to 11,500 citizens (the population at the time was 30,000). The first well was located in Zagorska Street, while the first water storage site was built in Jurjevska Street, and it is still used today.

The significance of the museum, which is the only such museum in this part of Europe, next to the Museum of the Vienna Waterworks, should be seen as a presentation of historical development showing us the most interesting schemes/projects connected with the expansion of the water supply area, technical development, which uses examples to depict technological development and technologies that followed such development, and educational development in a way to provide information to professionals, students, and pupils via the displayed exhibits.

The museum is open to groups, subject to prior appointment.
Print page